Week 9: Political participation

Voting for presidency is the most common and very important political participation. To vote for a president we need to register for votes. Voting registration often is very easy. Some states offer same day registration. Meaning citizens can register and vote on the election day. There is also online voter registration. The more easier it is to register for vote its better for states. More registration means more voter turnout. In the US lesser than 70% of population participates in voting. A majorities of immigrants are not eligible to vote, because they are not citizen. Being able to vote is a big deal. It makes a big difference in deciding nations powerful leader.

I missed the opportunity to vote this year 2020. I have not applied for citizenship yet. But definitely I will vote in 2024 election I hope. None my family members voted either. There are so many others like me who were very excited about this years election but could not vote because they are newly came migrants not have citizenship status.

Another form of political participation is Direct democracy. Direct democracy allows states citizens to take matter in hands in the government legislature and policies. In direct democracy citizens can approve or disapprove the government laws. Direct democracy can also remove politicians from office. One disadvantage of direct democracy is wealthy powerful people can reform laws in their favors.